Saturday, March 8, 2008

Update on Heidi

Last week we got a hard blow from the Dr. Heidi went in on Friday and the Dr. told us that coming up soon he wants to remove the hardware that is still in her foot. Then he talked about fusing her ankle. If this happens, her ankle joint will no longer move at all. She will be permanently disabled and unable to move her foot. This also leads to arthritis and knee and hip issues and all that kind of stuff later on. It left me very discouraged and depressed and Heidi was hopelessly depressed and worried about doing things normal teens do, like walking, riding bikes, learning to drive a car.

So Monday we went to wound clinic and her wound is looking worst, not better. So they took x-rays and blood work. They called later that day to let us know that the wound is again infected. So she is back on antibiotics and yogurt (her least favorite food now).

Last night Heidi came to Greg and I will an article off the Internet about artificial joints for ankles. The article was in a European Medical Journal and she asked if London was to far to go to fix her leg. Well that not only broke my heart, but it got us all searching the Internet and finding out more information about this procedure. We found some information about a Dr. in San Diego that does it and we are going to call him on Monday and see what we can do as options before we fuse that bone. There has to be another choice out there and this gives us all a bit of hope.

Well anyone that knows our family knows we are all overweight and this is a problem for all of us, but more so for Heidi, because she could loose that foot to diabetes or other health issues. We as a family decided we need to change, our eating habits and exercise habits and all that stuff. We set attainable goals and we are going to help each other reach them. At first the goal might only be to walk to the corner and back, but if we do that then later it can be to walk around the block. We are going to eat better and healthier and I (as the mom) am going to quit taking the easy road (McDonald's drive thru) and cook meals. IF we all work together I know we can do this.

It gives us hope again and it gives us something to do, and to work towards. I will update this as soon as I can talk to a Dr. or someone that can help us. Our Dr. has been great, but he hasn't left us with any choices, so we are going to look for them ourselves.

7 comments:

Mary said...

Caralee, I am sorry to hear that Heidi's foot is infected again. I definitely recommend you look for other options rather than going directly to fusion. Good luck on the healthy eating and weight loss. It is much easier if the whole family is involved. I'll keep you all in my prayers. Mary Waddell

Courtney said...

Caralee, I think that the healthy eating and trying a little bit off excersize is a great idea! Let me know if you guys need recipes or something. I wish you guys the best of luck and will be thinking about your family. *hugs* Courtney

sara :) said...

Caralee--I'm so proud you're all taking charge of your health. I will continue to pray for you all.

Unknown said...

Caralee,
Just know that I will continue to pray for Heidi and your family. You have been through so much together and I'm sure you will find the best approach to her medical issues. Good luck with everything.
Kelly in Hagerman
kowen@cableone.net

Squirrel & Button said...

Caralee I am so sorry to hear about her infection again! Good for her for looking for options! I hope/pray that this dr will give you other options to look at!

mamachele said...

Caralee,
I am so sorry to hear about Heidi's foot. You will continue to be in my prayers individually as well as collectively. Keep looking for alternatives. I think it is the the best idea. You have all been so dilligent in her recovery I know you are making the right decisions now. Love to all.
michele

Scrappergal in Idaho said...

Caralee,
I am truly sorry for Heidi and this latest bad news. I'm glad she and your family are looking into other options before you consider fusion - that just seems so drastic. Darned I'm so sad that it is infected again. You're going back on my prayer list. Sending you hugs.
Dianna L scrappergal